Breck Bugle

The Student News Site of Breck School

Breck Bugle

Breck Bugle

Breck Fall Sports Update

Girls Soccer: Breck Girls Soccer (BGS) has had a long-running history of State appearances and star players. The team has secured a section championship for two years in a row now, having won second place in the State Championship in 2021 and third in 2022. I had the pleasure of talking to star player Josslyn Weissman (‘25) about how the 2023 season has been going so far. Weissman explains that the season started out on the rougher side but has been improving as the team dynamic continues to improve. “I think things will get better as long as the team keeps a positive mindset,” Weissman states. She also explains that the team goals for the season are to be first or second in conference, to win sections for the third year in a row, and to make it to state once again! The team has persevered through some challenging games and has secured some incredible wins, and Weissman and the rest of the team are really excited to see where the season goes! (Cate House ’25)

Boys Football: Though Breck Football (BFB) has had a tough start to the season, DL/OL. Will Knudson (‘24) is sure that the team will improve. Knudson describes the team dynamic this season as energetic, controlled, hopeful, and ambitious. When I asked him about a possible state run this year, he stated “We are looking forward towards the future, we have played some tough teams so far but are pulling together for a State run.” The team was able to secure both a conference and a section championship in 2021, and are hoping to achieve those wins once again, along with a State appearance of course. I also made sure to ask Will Knudson how he feels about the new uniforms this year: “They feel like a changing culture around the team. I think they have definitely brought us some new and improved energy.” Will and his teammates are anxious but eager to see how far the team goes this year. (Cate House ’25)

Though Breck Girls Volleyball (BGVB) has had a rough start to their volleyball season, captains Isabelle Arden ‘25, Regan O’Brien ‘25, Mia Penn ‘24, and Maya Trujillo ‘25, have high aspirations and goals. I was able to talk with junior Captains Isabelle Arden and Regan O’Brien to catch up on the season and hear any plans for the team. Isabelle and Regan explain that the team has been working very hard each day at practice. They share their main goals for the remainder of the season: “We want to win at least one game in sections this season, to operate as a team, and to have a better student section.” After asking about any place for improvement for the team going into the final weeks of the season, Regan said “Our team has a lot of potential to succeed, but that can only be achieved if we win the mental game. The game itself comes after.” Isabelle and Regan agree that the team’s chemistry is coming together, as they are always there to support each other, on and off the court. The captains are hopeful for many more successes shortly and are looking forward to the increase in students attending their games. (Sophie Welsh ‘25)

Breck Girls Tennis (BGT) is coming off a second-place win at state, and looking for another strong finish this fall. I had the opportunity to talk with Witt Mehbod and Emily Lin (both ‘24) to talk about new beginnings for the team, as there are very few returning varsity players this year. When asked about the team dynamics, Witt mentioned how “the team is really missing its former seniors, but we are working on building new chemistry to build a strong team for the remainder of the season.” Since BGT has had a history of State appearances, Witt explains “We have had a tough start compared to past years, but looking forward to turning the season around and winning some matches.” After asking Emily about any changes to make for the remainder of the season, she says “We need to have better attitudes and mentality with the game. As Witt said, we need to improve the team chemistry so we can both succeed but also have a relationship with each other off the court.” Both Witt and Emily agreed that their goal for the season is ultimately to make it back to State. However, to achieve that goal, Emily stated “we need to first beat Blake. That momentum will put us in a great position to not only win the conference but hopefully make it back to state.” Breck Girls Tennis is eager to get back on the court after some rainy days and see where the remainder of the season takes them. (Sophie Welsh ‘25)

Breck Girls Swim & Dive (BGSD) has seen high participation, and numerous Section 2A championships in recent years. With its highly competitive and encouraging atmosphere, BGSD promotes hard-working student-athletes. Morning lifts and practices so far have set this team up for success in the pool, as they have yet to lose to any team in their section. I interviewed senior leaders Annika Wilson ‘24 and Lily Augdahl ‘24. Following their 17-year win streak against rivals Blake Bears, Lily shares that beating Blake was a huge season goal for the team. She also explains how they plan to work hard in practice, stay focused, and keep the positive energy up within the team to execute the 11-peat Section 2A win. Annika Wilson ‘24 shares her insight into the season so far. “I think one difficulty we have faced was our recent Minnetonka meet. This is usually a tough invite for us because the other teams are very skilled and large and despite having swimmers out due to the ACT we pulled through and had some really good races”. Both seniors highlighted the importance of winning the section meet for the eleventh year in a row. Mid-November marks the end of the season as the Class A State Meet will take place at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center. BGSD hopes to qualify a large number of swimmers and divers to maintain or improve their state standing. (Ava Allingham ’25)